Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Thing #15: Web/Library 2.0

I really appreciated the video "A Vision of Students Today." Clearly, times are changing! For better or worse, people need to learn how to keep up with these changes.

I agree with Rick Anderson's thoughts on the "icebergs" that have potential to threaten our progress and future success. It seems like many people are packrats. I know I am! However, how ridiculous to fill space and spend money on "just in case" books. Instead, let's fill our libraries with books that students actually read. After all, the internet is a wonderful resource for research and reading for pleasure. On that note, though, I can't bear to give away my personal set of encyclopedias. I have very little room at home for all my books, I use the internet for research, and yet I'm hanging on to them "just in case."

I also agree that our library resources need to be user-friendly. As a language arts teacher, I feel that it's important for students to spend time in the library. Although I value library time, it's difficult spending classtime in the library when students walk around lost and confused. I definitely teach my students how to find books and we review some ways to research, but if some of the technology tools were easier to navigate, the students would be more productive with their time.

2 comments:

VWB said...

I have my personal old encyclopedias as well...1990s...and as long as I have a shelf, I will keep them and my dictionaries!
guess I'm keeping one foot in the past as I move forward in the future...

bookeatersclub said...

There is no more room in our libraries for "just in case." We (librarians) all have to stay abreast of the technology and blend our traditional tasks into the mix. I agree that research and library use must be clear and simple. Thus, eliminating some of the frustration for students and teachers.