Friday, July 17, 2009

Thing #5- Microblogging

I'm already a fan of Facebook. I love that Facebook allows me to keep in touch with my high school friends, my college friends, and now my teaching colleagues. In fact, in the past year, even my sisters, aunts, and uncles have joined Facebook. Although communicating through Facebook is not the same as visiting in person, I’m grateful that I can easily keep in touch with my friends and family back home in California.

I’m a beginner with Twitter. I’ve played around a few times, and I can definitely see the appeal. Depending on who you are following, it can be a lot of fun. Juicy, too!

Having a Facebook group would be great for students to join. Students can post questions/comments about homework, projects, book clubs…anything. Limitless possibilities! And, of course, it’s another way to keep students engaged in their learning.

In general, back-channeling seems like a great way for students to stay engaged in their learning. When back-channeling during class, it might take some time to establish ground rules for appropriate comments. Also, it will be an adjustment for the teacher to get used to students looking at a computer and typing, not making eye contact with the teacher. However, I think the benefits could be so amazing!

I’m ready to give it a try with my students!

No comments: